Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Do You Line Dry?

I love hanging clean clothes out on the clothesline, and today we had the perfect weather for doing just that.  Dorothy is a great helper; a basket of clothes fits perfectly in her wagon with just enough room for her in the back.
Hauling laundry out to the clothesline.  4.27.12
Note that in this photo taken a few weeks ago, it was cool enough for Dorothy to need a stocking hat, but still nice enough to get the clothes dry.

She also fits inside the basket.
Hauling laundry out to the clothesline.  4.25.12

I love having a clothesline and try to use it as much as I can in the summer, but I wasn't using as much as I could have been.  A few weeks ago, as I was chasing Derek around the house turning off lights in an effort to save electricity, he suggested that using the clothes dryer less often would conserve more than a few light bulbs.  Well, I took his suggestion to heart and have completely avoided using the dryer since April 20th.  It only takes a small amount of extra effort to plan my laundry days based on the weather forecast, while still abiding by commandment #8 of The Septic Tank Eleven Commandments: Thou Shall Stagger Wash Loads.  I have a small drying rack for inside when the weather doesn't cooperate and I need to wash diapers or work uniforms.  Do you think I can make it all summer?  I'm pretty sure that my friend, Liz, did it.  Her dryer was broken and she didn't have a choice, but she did it.

Until recently, I assumed that everyone with a yard hung their laundry outside on nice days.  But then one day while I was talking about making clothespin dress bags, the person I was chatting with said, "Sure, those are cute, but who actually uses clothespins?  Nobody hangs their laundry out anymore."  And then  a few weeks ago I heard a local radio personality say, "Remember when people used to have clotheslines?  Today would be a great day to hang bed sheets outside.  I miss that."

So, what I'm wondering is:  Do You Line Dry?  Why or why not?  Do you have a clothesline?  Are there only certain things you line dry, or certain things that you never hang out?  Are you too modest to hang your unmentionables out for the neighbors to see?

1 comment:

  1. I do not line dry. It was against the neighborhood covenant to have a clothes line in your yard. Goofy if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete