Monday, December 26, 2011

Cloth Diapers: Easy and Inexpensive

You may or may not already have an opinion about cloth diapers. If you're not on board, either because you think that washing diapers is gross, too much extra work, or that they are too expensive, please hear me out. Because even though I was pretty sure well before our first daughter was born that I wanted to use cloth, I was admittedly intimidated. I knew that it was the “green” thing to do, but I had the same concerns as many others: Which kind of cloth diapers should I buy? How much do they cost? How do I wash them? And what do I do about the poop? Inspired by a former classmate and Facebook friend using cloth, I contacted her for advice before making the initial investment in diapers. She enthusiastically answered my questions and directed me to the Cotton Babies website for more information. My daughter is now three months old, we've probably got close to 1000 diaper changes under our belts, and I cannot say enough good things about cloth diapering. And while I'd love to say that it's been worth all of the extra effort, there hasn't been extra work – using the cloth diapers has been easier than I could have ever imagined. I hope that by sharing my personal experience it will encourage others to give cloth diapering a try.

The first part of our cloth diapering experience was building our stash of diapers. Before I had looked into it, I had concerned visions of folding diapers, pins, and the plastic pants used by generations past. Once I learned more about modern cloth diapering, I was amazed at the advances and improvements. In fact, I was almost overwhelmed by how many different options that were available. Per my friend's suggestion, I looked into getting the bumGenius 4.0 one-size diapers. The one-size means that they are adjustable to fit a baby from 7-35+ pounds, or in other words, from birth to potty training age. They are a pocket diaper with a waterproof layer on the outside, and a moisture wicking inner layer to keep wetness away from baby's skin. The pocket then gets stuffed with a moisture absorbing insert, and is held together onto baby with either snap or hook and loop (velcro) closures. I found out that these newfangled cloth diapers sell for $17.95 each.

Now, if you think that $17.95 for one diaper sounds crazy, keep reading. My husband and I decided after our daughter was born that I wouldn't return to work so that I could stay home with her full time. As we transitioned to a single income household, we became hypersensitive about our expenses. So trust me, if cloth diapers weren't cheaper, we probably wouldn't have done it. Since a newborn baby is expected to need up to 12 diaper changes in a day, I decided that I wanted to have 24 diapers on hand. I had been checking back to the Cotton Babies website, and noticed that the bumGenius diapers go on sale every few months: buy five, get one free. And they always have free economy shipping. Depending on how much you spend at their website, they even give you a free gift! Cotton Babies quickly became my favorite source of cloth diapers and cloth diaper information. When I was ready to make my big diaper purchase, I got a wide variety of colors, and even a few with patterns, and spent $357.60 total, or about $14.60 per diaper. (I just noticed today that some of the same diapers I got are on Clearance right now for $11.97 each if you buy three!) That still may seem like a lot of money, but that's a one time investment compared to buying disposable diapers week after week, year after year until baby is potty trained. Those 24 cloth diapers will not only last for all of this baby's diaper days, but potentially for future brothers and sisters. I found out that even used, there is a market for selling your old diapers and that they have a decent resale value in good condition. So, when you do the math, cloth diapering just makes sense. And if a penny saved is a penny earned, then cloth diapers make cents, too. Compared to buying disposables, cloth diapers can easily pay for themselves with one baby, and they can still be cheaper even if you don't start when your baby is brand new. It's not too late to consider making the switch to cloth.
Dorothy in bumGenius 4.0 at three months old.  12.26.11
Dorothy in bumGenius 4.0 at three days old.  9.15.11
In addition to saving you money, the modern cloth diaper is easy to use. Every time that I change a diaper, I simply pull the wet insert out of the pocket and toss the two soiled pieces into a large hanging wetbag, which we use in lieu of a diaper pail. For now, I don’t even have to rinse them since breastmilk poop is water soluble. When the babe starts eating solid food, we’ll get to use the diaper sprayer that my sister got us as a baby shower gift to rinse the solid poop into the toilet before they are laundered. Every other day, I wash a load of diapers in the evening, and hang them to dry on a small drying rack overnight. When the diapers are dry, I stuff the inserts back in and they are ready to use again. To reiterate: I do one load of wash, every other day, hang to dry, and stuff with inserts. That is it. We don’t have to make any special trips to town to buy diapers, or any extra trips to dumpster to take out the trash. Everyone assumes that I’d rather use disposables when we are away from home, but I’ve found the opposite to be true. A medium size wet bag contains the smell and contents of a dirty diaper until I can get them home to wash them, which I’d much rather do that than to drop a full, stinky, disposable diaper bomb in someone’s trash. And I feel like I may jinx myself whenever I say it, but we’ve yet to have a diaper blowout with cloth – one less thing to worry about when we’re out and about.

I love using our cloth diapers so much that I would have blogged about how easy they are to use sooner than later, but I was specifically motivated to write about them now because I am entering this post into a contest with the goal of raising awareness about cloth diapers. I have not received any form of compensation for the content of this post, but the winning blogger will receive a gift of 12 bumGenius One-Size Cloth Diapers, and gets to choose a person who commented on their post to also receive a gift of 12 bumGenius One-Size Cloth Diapers. I encourage you to comment on this post to share your own cloth diapering experiences.  I enjoy hearing from other people I know using cloth diapers with their own babies.  And please, ask questions if you have them - I love when people ask me about my baby's fluffy butt! I have so much more to say about cloth diapering, but for now, I hope that this post was just informative enough that it will inspire others to give cloth a try.

28 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information! When my baby (now 2) was almost 1, I became very interested in cloth diapers. But it seemed like a large investment when he was (hopefully) almost halfway through his diaper years, and through the year with the most diaper changes:) However, I hate the waste involved with disposables, not to mention the time/money spent getting them! If I have another child, I am definitely looking harder at cloth! ~Ginger Juntti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Carrie! I also couldn't believe how easy cloth diapers can be...not to mention cute! :) Your little one is adorable in them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CARRIE! I'm THRILLED that you love them! (me too!) But, I must say, I didn't have any doubts that you wouldn't.

    Our diapers (the BG 3.0's) from Phillip (4 years ago) are still going strong on baby #3 (10 months old)!! We have SAVED SOOO much money--it's unreal!

    I take 2 babes (well, a 10 month old and a just-turned-3 year old) out in cloth ALL the time. :) It's easy-peasy.

    To speak to your blowout comment: you can say in confidence that there will be no true "blowouts". I forget about that--until I have to put a disposeable on my babe and he poops. Ugh. It's EVERYWHERE. Cloth holds SOO much! The only time we have had poop come out of a cloth diaper, has been when the diaper wasn't completely on... woops! (Mommy must have been uber tired). :)

    Thanks for writing this post! I love that you love them! :) CLOTH ROCKS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Carrie, u got me thinking for my baby number two thats due in May. Will have to think some more but it dosent sound that hard. For Easton he has been a pampers baby. I will have to do some more research!
    -Jess Engelsmeier

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little one look so stinking cute in that diaper. I love you showing a newborn in a OS diaper, too.

    I've been using CD at night for our 3 yo and am excited to try it full time with our nee baby new in February.

    It's crazy how easy they are to use...and cute, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't even have a baby, and I was fascinated! If I ever get myself a little kiddo, you've got me sold on cloth diapers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well written post, Carrie. I am so glad that you are cloth diapering and telling others how great it can be!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am the grandma, and I must say that I was the biggest skeptic when Carrie told me that she wanted to use cloth diapers. I remember them being a pain when my kids were babies 25 years ago, and I just didn't understand why she would want the extra work. I can now say that I was wrong! Cloth diapers sure have come a long way since back then. I have had Dorothy overnight now, and Carrie sent a wet/dry bag full of clean diapers stuffed for me on the "dry" side of the bag, and I just put the used, dirty diapers in the "wet" side of the bag. They were just as easy as disposable! Even for a grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been increasingly curious about cloth diapering. Looked into it only a little before Maria was born. We've opted for Target or Walmart brands mostly, because everything else is CRAZY expensive. Thanks for the website info too - love that it answers all the basic questions for curious people like me! :) If God blesses us with another baby, I am going to try to sell Peter on the cloth diaper route! The thought of no blowouts is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Carrie, I never realized how easy cloth diapers were! I'm going to start using them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so excited to know that others are considering cloth diapers - they really are fantastic - mission accomplished!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As you know, I wish I had wonderful things to say about cloth. I also wish I had wonderful things to say about disposables. What I know is that I welcome the chance to try cloth again. There isn't a day (or a poop) that goes by that I don't have a giant blow out and a complete change of outfit. It is something I dread every single day. I welcome the chance to make the change to cloth, and remedy this crappy situation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed reading your blog-- and it made me think of when I started cloth diapering! I was SO thankful for Sarah, who made it all so much less intimidating! We started CDing when Aiden was about 3 months old, and have absolutely LOVED it! CDing is so much easier than I could have imagined- and a serious money saver! :)
    Not only that- Aiden has NEVER gotten a diaper rash from cloth, which I cannot say about disposables... I am very thankful for cloth, and can't wait to get started with baby number two as a newborn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. anyone have any suggestions on hook/loop versus snap?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great article! I love seeing itty bitties in their CD! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ruth - Hook/Loop Vs. Snap

    I have 12 of each and I am happy with them both. The hook/loop are nicest for a tiny baby because you can overlap them on top of each other to make them very small around the waist. You also don't have to put your finger inside and push on their little tummy like you do to push the snaps closed, so I liked that better when I was changing diapers like a zombie in the middle of the night those first couple of weeks. But I think I prefer the snaps because they seem like they will wear better, and they don't get stuck together in the laundry (even though I do always close the hook/loop before I wash them). Time will tell. You can get replacement kits for the hook/loop if it wears out for $1 each. Sarah - the mom with three boys all in cloth - told me that her hook/loop are going strong on baby #3 and she also shared with me that the snaps are better for an older baby because he can't take diaper off himself! My conclusion, they are both nice - I like having some of both. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks sooooo much for including the picture of the bumgenius on your newborn! I have been wondering how these would fit for a newborn and it's hard to find good pictures about the fit on such a little baby. I love my cloth diapers, they are adorable on little baby bums:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ditto to what caedmen said about seeing a newborn in a bumgenius, so cute. I didn't even try our 3.0s on our little guy until 3 weeks. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on cloth diapering!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice to see a newborn pic, as well. Awesome. I tried a 3.0 on our daughter and it just looked awkward. I was already using small bg aio's, though, so it didn't matter that I waited a little bit before taking out the pockets! Congrats on your new addition!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Isn't it nice to never have to run out and purchase diapers? I love knowing we always have diapers for the baby to wear. When I go down that aisle at Wal-Mart, I'm just amazed at how much money we are saving! Your daughter is beautiful and I love that top photo of her in the little hoodie!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm amazed at how well the bumGenius one-sized diapers fit your newborn. How big was she at birth and did the diaper irritate her cord?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for all of the kind words about Dorothy! I was so excited to try our cloth diapers that I put them on her as soon as she got home from the hospital. She was 7 lbs, 1 ounce when she was born. The one size diapers did rub on her cord a little bit in those first two weeks, so we ended up using some newborn disposables while it healed. I would like to try some of the newborn bumGenius diapers with future children. And really the only bummer about the bulky diaper on the newborn is that she couldn't wear those cute wittle, itty-bitty, teeny-weenie onsies - but she still managed to look pretty cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'll definitely be sharing this blog post with all my friends who are new parents. I think the most enlightening part for me was that you don't feel that cloth diapers have been extra work. It was also neat to see the same diaper on her at different ages. Thanks Carrie! I'm sold!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'd never considered using cloth diapers before because all that I knew about them was how they were over twenty years ago! After seeing my younger sister use them and reading all the information on your blog I definitely plan on using cloth once I have a baby. It's such a great way to be green and save a lot of money at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So informative. Makes me really consider cloth for baby number two arriving right around the corner! I was too afraid to try cloth with Billy but now I am once again seriously considering it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm only 20 years old, and can't say I have any diapering stories or experiences. Heck I'm not even married yet (crossing fingers it won't be much longer now). But I've been wishing more and more that I would have started a "hope chest" a few years ago. I've been slowly transitioning into more natural products, and I really want to start my own family with those habits. I came across cloth diapering sometime last year, and I've been intrigued ever since. I connect diapers with Walmart, crowded and noisy stores, huge shopping carts, and a thinner wallet. And maybe it sounds silly, but I have different associations with cloth diapers. They seem more personal, gentler, and I dream of my own little family just starting out. It's like the difference between a home-cooked meal and settling in with a Disney movie vs greasy fast-food on a sticky table and corralling screaming kids into the car. Cloth just sounds more like home and the better choice, rather than taking mothering advice from big name brands trying to sell me something to put in my garbage can. I plan to have homegrown children that are not raised by manufacturing companies. (Note - I'm not strictly against mass-produced items or supercenters, I just think moderation is best). Besides that, I believe in work over waste. And if I gain a new hobby/addiction (which I probably will), all the better!
    So I figure I may as well start that "hope chest" now, and you can bet it will have cloth diapers in it! I can't wait!! Thanks for the article, the inspiration, and for helping add to the goals of a future mother!

    ReplyDelete
  27. i cloth diaper because i think it is more comfortable and it would be what i would want to wear if i were a baby (and it was what i wore as a baby). I have only found positives to cloth diapering and am so glad that i was able to give my son (and future children) and clean healthy start at life.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Carrie, I have 4 boys and a friend who CD's but I never have partly for the fact we rent and have a rough time with our washer and dryer and part because I am horrible keeping up on laundry! But my boys have sensitive bottoms and let me tell you with 4 boys doing some rough figuring i have gone through about 26,000 diapers! YIKES! That is OVER 2000 bucks if you can get them cheap on coupon for about 8cents per diaper!!!! This makes me want to kick it into gear and do CD when we get our own place (hopefully soon)! Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete