Thursday, December 1, 2011

That's A (Baby) Wrap

One of the many items of baby gear that I inherited from my generous sister was this baby wrap.  When she first showed it to me I didn't think that I would ever use it.  I was completed confused as to how it worked.  I didn't understand how anyone could ever remember all of the wrapping steps and didn't see how it could ever be convenient.  Boy, was I wrong.  Laura suggested that I practice with a doll first, and then she helped me get Dorothy tucked in the first time.  I was hooked. Dorothy loves being snuggled in the wrap, and falls asleep nearly every time I put her in it.  My absolute favorite use for the wrap is shopping.   I put the wrap on at home before I get in the car to drive.  Then, when I get to the grocery store/Target/etc., I crawl in the backseat next to Dorothy, pull her out of her car seat, and tuck her into the wrap.  I don't have to lug her carseat around, and both of my hands are free to shop.  Did I mention that she'll sleep through the whole trip?

Dorothy in  Newborn Hug Hold  in baby wrap at one month old 10.15.11
Modeled after the Moby Wrap, this homemade version is very easy to "make."  I hesitate to even use the word "make," because there isn't much more to it than cutting a large piece of fabric.  It's a six yard length of a knit (stretchy) fabric cut about 20 inches wide.  In most cases it isn't even necessary to finish the edges.  I don't recommend sewing two three yard sections of fabric together for this project because it would have to be a weight-bearing seam, and a baby is just too precious of cargo to have to worry about it.  When you buy the six yards of fabric, you'll have enough to make two wraps - maybe you want an extra for yourself if yours gets dirty, or maybe you want to give one to a friend.

My friend, Brianna with her baby boy, Wyatt - green/brown camo skull fabric - November 2011

Dorothy in wrap with black/gray zebra fabric, 2 months old  - November 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment